About Me

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Okay I cheated! Gluten Free Crispy Rice Treats

Yes, I know, I’m not supposed to eat rice and I certainly shouldn’t be eating sugary, artificial marshmallows.  I can’t explain why, but I needed a Rice Krispy Treat.  Maybe it’s the nostalgia of younger days.  Or maybe it’s the instant gratification of knowing in ten minutes you will have a dessert you can eat immediately.  No bake time, no chill time, just easy, fast craving stopper.

After thinking about Rice Krispies for most of the week, I gave in this Saturday and whipped up a batch.  As I’m sure most gluten free eaters know, Kellogg’s Rice Krispies are not gluten free because they contain Malt Flavoring.  So, I went with Nature’s Path Organic Whole Grain Brown Crispy Rice.  If I’m going to eat Rice, at least it’s organic with very low sugar content.  Not so lucky on the Marshmallows….  Be careful when picking Marshmallows, as most are gluten free, but some are not.  Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows are gluten free. (definitely not sugar free, but sometimes you have to indulge!)

Here’s the recipe, modified slightly for elimination of butter:

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Crispy Rice Treats:
¼ cup coconut oil
1 package Kraft Jet-puffed marshmallows
1 package Nature’s Path Crispy Rice cereal

Melt coconut oil first, then add marshmallows and melt completely.  Takes about 1 ½ minutes.  Stir in Crispy Rice and press into greased pan.

Eat immediately!

Here’s a picture of mine.  Please excuse the huge missing section.  I couldn’t wait!  My girlfriend has given up sugar and wouldn’t eat these, so there was really nothing stopping me from taking a spoon right to the huge cake pan!  That is exactly what I did and it was glorious!

1 comment: